Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Volleyball Season

I love to play volleyball. I have played since I was twelve. However, I had to take a break from volleyball when I had kids. This made me a little sad, especially since volleyball is something that Eric and I really enjoy doing together. Well when we moved into our home in this new little town, I noticed a sigh advertising City League Volleyball. I called right away only to be told that the ad was for young girls. The older ladies volleyball was not to start until February.
Now I was faced with a dilemma. I really wanted my kids to be around two years apart. That would mean getting pregnant at the end of '08 or early '09. Well, being pregnant and playing volleyball does not really work for me; I tried it with Little Lady and was very sick.
So, it was either volleyball or pregnancy.
I chose to put off the next baby for a few months and do a little something for myself and I am LOVING it!!!
We had a great volleyball team. I made my sister Jana sign up with me. She is a great player. Because of our age difference we have not ever really played together. It was so much fun playing with her! The rest of our team was made up of all the ladies that signed up on their own. We called ourselves the Eclecticats. We used our first games to get a feel for how each of us played. By the second week we were on fire! We played really well the whole season. I believe we only lost three games. For tournament we were placed in the top bracket. We started our games at 6:00. It was double elimination. We lost our first game and had about a 20 min. break before playing again. We won all of our games after that. Around 10pm we were playing the first of two Championship games. The team we were playing had not lost yet, so we would have to beat them twice. We had just played 9 games in a row and they had just come from an hour break. Needless to say, we were exhausted! We played really well, but we lost in the first game. I was so glad. I did not want to have to play another game that night. By the time the evening was over it was 11 pm. My whole body hurt, especially my feet.
We did so AWESOME for a group of ladies who never played together before!! We got 2nd place!

5 comments:

Meredith said...

Although I am sad that you are not pregnant, I am glad that you got to play volleyball. Way to go team!

Heather said...

good for you guys! that is so fun that you and jana got to play together. it's always nice to have a little "me time." (keeps mommies sane) well, i guess this means i can expect my pregnancy announcement soon....i remember you saying around march of 09, so trust me, i've been waiting!

Unknown said...

How cool! I didn't know you played. Good for you and Jana and your team!

Jen Gillespie said...

How fun. So glad you got some time to yourself for a while. It is definitely needed! I'm with the others...can't wait to hear a prego announcement.

The Haucks said...

That is awesome! Way to do something just for yourself! I realize with families that can be tough and you might feel guilty, but remembe, "If Momma ain't happy, ain't no body happy!" Congrats on 2nd Place!